Monday, February 4, 2013

Oatmeal

I am probably the worst with meals when it comes to breakfast. Usually I don't have any time to make anything half way decent, so I end up eating toast with earth balance and jam or a quick bowl of cereal, or most often than not, nothing at all. When I do manage to drag myself out of bed early enough I make myself some oatmeal. Not the fanciest of breakfasts but I doctor it up so that it is as nutritious as it can be. I simmer some quick cooking oats on the stove, usually I do 1/3 of a cup of oats per person eating, so I make 2/3 cups of oats when I am cooking for my husband, with enough water to cover the oats plus a bit more. While that is simmering I add 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts to a bowl, 2 tablespoons ground flax, and a couple teaspoons of brown sugar for a little sweetness. When the oats are almost cooked I add a 1/2 teaspoon or so of cinnamon to the pot and then spoon it into the bowl on top of the other goodies. I then add chopped bananas and eat! 
As usual I forgot to take a picture of my bowl before I mixed it up so it looks half eaten here, so below is my husbands bowl. He likes his with mixed berries. 
Breakfast of champions!

No comments:

Post a Comment