Monday, February 4, 2013

Mexican Salad

I love salads. Especially ones with lots of flavors and goodies. I have never been one of those people who has enjoyed the "house salads" of iceberg and boring dressing served at restaurants, though I haven't come across too many of those since becoming vegan. Since one of my favorite styles of foods is Mexican, I decided to take the flavors that I love in those foods, and make them into a salad! This salad consists of home made pinto beans cooked with bay leaves and cloves of garlic, cooked frozen corn, cherry tomatoes cut in half, and diced avocado over chopped romaine lettuce. A spicy lime vinegarette is then drizzled over top. The recipe for that is:

1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons chili powder (I prefer a hot blend)
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup olive oil

Mix the first five ingredients in a bowl or a glass cup measure (as can be seen in the photo below). Once blended, drizzle in the oil and mix until combined. 

Most of the time I end up adding more of the spices depending on how spicy I want the dressing to be on that particular day. I then drizzle it over the salad by the tablespoon full until I have reached the desired dressing amount. Usually two or three tablespoons. I LOVE this dressing. It is so fresh from the limes, and I love how the chili powder and cumin make the salad so much brighter. 

Now for a montage of salad pictures: 






Served with an ice cold Corona with lime, and this is the perfect dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment