Sunday, January 20, 2013

Mushroom, Bell Pepper, and Pinto Bean Enchiladas with Fidello

     Mexican is one of my favorite types of food to eat. I am mostly of Italian descent, but I love me some mexican! I try to make it at home as much as I can but I tend to eat it out at restaurants more often. As it so happened, I had some homemade enchilada sauce and pinto beans in the freezer, and since I have been trying to use up the contents of my freezer I decided to make some enchiladas. I used to make them more before I went vegan, usually filling them with just cheese and onions or ground beef, but I have only made them a handful of times since becoming vegan, probably because I mostly associate enchiladas with cheese and just haven't had any better ideas with what to fill them with. For this meal, I decided to fill them with lots of veggies and some vegan cheese.

     I started with two yellow onions, three green bell peppers, and about a pound of button mushrooms. I chopped them into a large dice and sautéed them with olive oil until soft and just starting to brown. I then added two jalapeños and lots of minced garlic, and cooked until fragrant.
The steam gets in the way but you get the idea
Then I added about three cups of homemade pinto beans and just warmed them through.
It tasted so good just like this, it was hard not to just grab a bowl and get down. I had to remember what the ultimate goal was, so this is when I started to build the enchiladas. I like to use the Ezekiel 4:9 whole grain tortillas for just about everything I need a tortilla for, so I used the burrito sized ones here. I added a large helping of the veggie and bean mixture and then topped it with some cheddar style Daiya.  
I then rolled them and put them into a glass baking dish that was lined on the bottom with the homemade enchilada sauce I had. I did this five times (since that was all I could fit in the dish) and then topped the entire thing with more sauce and Daiya. I baked it at 350 for about 20 minutes covered in foil, and during the last 5 minutes I removed the foil and turned on the broiler to get the cheese on top nice and crispy. I forgot to take a picture of it before I stuck it in the oven, but here was what it looked like when it was done.
YUMMMMMMMMM
     So while this was baking in the oven I started the fidello. I start with one whole yellow onion, cooked in canola until soft and starting to brown. Then I add lots of chopped garlic and cook that until the garlic just starts to get browned as well. Then I add one package of fidello (I use the La Moderna brand since that is the only kind I can find, and I get it at Fry's for 3 packs for $1) and cook until the noodles start to get browned and crunchy.

Next I add about one cup of tomato sauce plus 2 cups of water plus some salt, which I then let simmer on medium low until the noodles are cooked and the sauce is thick. You might need to add a little more water while its cooking depending on how long it takes the noodles to get soft. Just keep an eye on it. Then serve yourself and enjoy!
After Cooked
Before

The end result, not the most attractive looking meal but quite tasty all the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment